6.05.2006

Old School Songs: psalm 139 : darkness is not dark to you

darkness


Psalm 139

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?

8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!

9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,

10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”

12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you. (the rest)


The words of this portion of Psalm 139 are incredibly comforting to me. Because there is nowhere I can go where I am not covered by His presence.

I spent three summers in Indonesia as a short-term missionary. We were centralized in a city called Manado. Indonesia is a country of about 13,000+ Islands. One morning we drove about two hours to the coast and then took a little boat to a small island to join in a church service. I am not sure of the name of this island but it was really more like a mountain in the sea. We had to climb all the way up to the top ofthis massive hill. We were miserably hot and sweaty and tired by the time (like 4-5 hours) we got to the tiny church building. It probably seated like 40 people. But in the little benches there were hymnals, in Indonesian launguage, of course.

I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia and if you could shove a stick through the earth, you would have a great chance of hitting this little island. When it was midnight in Manado it was noon in Atlanta. We were exactly half a day ahead of my home town.

I could not help but think that we are in this tiny church on this tiny island and God has been here! And He has worshipers here! He is everywhere. And when He saw us at noon in this tiny church, He could see everything in Atlanta where it was midnight.


t00-m0ch,
Chris

christophercarder.com

song: Too Much for Me [listen - new window] [purchase - $1.00]



tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Felt the same way in Africa last year. Thousands of miles form home, people speaking all sorts of languages, yet God was there, and not only understood it all, but was the creator of it all. It sounds obvious talking about. I mean we all know God is everywhere. It just when you experience it in this way His Biggness and our smallness really hits you. Love it!